Does your content marketing need an upgrade? See if you’re committing any of these common mistakes.
1. No Content Marketing Strategy
2. Not Using an Editorial Calendar
3. Not Using Keyword Research
4. Not Using Multiple Platforms and Formats
Have you heard of “the rise of the visual web”? Internet users want more than words. Blog posts are helpful, but infographics get shared more often. Tweets with images get shared twice as much as tweets without images.
To leverage new formats, make creating videos a habit. And always ask yourself if you could add an image. And don’t forget SlideShares, animated gifs, and podcasts. Want to make all this easier? Here’s a great app for creating social media images on the go: WordSwag, available on iTunes for $2.99. Canva is an excellent desktop alternative.
5. Content that Is Too Simplistic or Too Advanced
6. Not Using Personas
7. Content Is Not Actionable or Useful
8. No Call to Action
9. Creating Boring Content
For content marketers, being boring isn’t just… well, boring. It’s failure. Here are some common symptoms of boring content.
- Similar content is easily found elsewhere (and done better).
- A tiny bit of interesting content is watered down and made into much, much longer watered-down content.
- The content is hard to understand (hard to read, hard to hear, or hard to understand how to use it).
- The content has no personality. There is no playfulness to it.
- The content is self-centered. It is a barely concealed advertorial.